|6-strand DMC floss, green warp, gold weft needlewoven on a 35-count linen "loom"|
Today while tidying up I actually toyed with the idea of tossing it, thinking, "What's the use?" As I pondered its destruction, I absentmindedly picked out the linen threads and realized I had managed, quite unintentionally, to create a tiny cloth with four selvages.
Now this was worth saving ... and reiterating. Perhaps I could even control the dimensions.
With a goal of creating a 1 1/2" patch of cloth, I gathered some recently acquired white and black size 10 cotton crochet thread (which I had planned to weave into a tapestry version of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse), a square of green linen cloth (which changed colors in the photographs as the daylight coming in the window came and went), an embroidery hoop, and a very long, very sharp needle.
The steps I followed are documented below with details in the captions:
|The green linen was marked in 1/2" intervals and the initial warp was anchored with a waste knot|
|Spacing the warp every 2 threads of linen seemed too tight|
|This is the back after I began spacing the warp 3 threads apart. I changed colors using a simple square knot.|
|I ended up with 8 warp threads for each 1/2" section|
|Another picture of the back, which didn't change for the duration. Note the loose warp thread at the lower right.|
|After finishing the warp, I simply brought the thread up to the front (lower left corner) and began needleweaving|
|When I reached the end of the thread, I buried it along the selvage|
|Then started a new thread by needleweaving up the other side|
|Here I left the black weft thread loose in order to try anchoring it with subsequent passes, which worked well|
|After each pass, I "beat" down the weft with a tiny brush (an unused hearing aid cleaner)|
|As I reached the end, things got tight so I needlewove one stitch at a time|
|Along the way I tried knotting some of the weft threads, which didn't work as well as weaving the ends in|
|Then I cut the woven patch away from the linen "loom"|
|This was the final back view ... which looked just the same as it did in the beginning.|
|After picking out the linen from the ends, I had a 1 1/2" square patch with four selvages.|