Friday, May 8, 2015

- Hoping it will all come out (okay) in the wash

After several days of hanging in gentle rain and persimmon-shaded sun, I brought in the newly dyed cloth.

Taking a idea from newfound KINDRED SPIRIT Deb Sposa at Artisun, I decided to iron half of each cloth on a high setting to see if the colors would set better with or without heat.

For sure the dyed images jumped out of the newly pressed cloth ...


But knowing that they might fade regardless of whether they were heat-set or not, I took some before shots to record what was ...

Red and yellow onion skins mordanted with
copper, alum and iron (from left to right)


Windfall lichen mordanted with
copper, alum and iron (from left to right)

Alum mordanted red cabbage, salvias and rosemary (from left to right)

So, with once last look at my favorite alum-mordanted salvias ...


I dispatched them to the (hopefully) tender mercies of the washing machine.

Film at 11:00 (if not sooner).

6 comments:

Dana said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the salvias, they are such a wondrous color.

Liz Ackert said...

Me, too ... but beyond the laundering test is the test of time. I'm thinking of creating a nine-patch sampler with one piece from each cloth, then dating it and photographing it to compare a year or two from now.

Thread Born said...

I love all the beautiful, subtle colors...hope that they survive the wash!

Liz Ackert said...

They are all the more subtle after being washed, but the most colorful cloths have held up pretty well.

ARTISUN said...

Thank you Liz for the shout out :) and I love that we are kindred spirits :) xoxoxox

Liz Ackert said...

You're welcome ... for the record, I couldn't really discern any significant difference between the ironed and un-ironed halves.

Meanwhile, I love visiting your blog and seeing the amazing projects you have your students doing ... how fortunate you all are to have each other.