Thursday, January 22, 2015

- A sneak peek: Framing windows

One of my favorite results from the rust dye trial was the windows that sprang from a sheet of Junkology metal scrap that we got on Black Friday (take that, big name retailers) ...


As you can see, the two sides of the metal sheet left different impressions. Cutting one out, I told Don that I was going to insert a tiny picture of Meliss and Jace behind a window in the lullaby book ...

Note the cut edges on this one versus the torn edges below ...

"Like a flap?" he asked.

"Oooooo, I hadn't thought of that!" I replied ... and promptly abandoned what I was doing to cut out a new window...

Serendipity: the torn edges actually lined up with the rust lines

Which opens to reveal an ink-jet printed cloth photograph ...

Ink jet fabric printing invisibly basted and edged with blanket stitch ...
applique would have been preferable, but the cloth quality is limiting and hard to stitch

Happy day ... I love making tiny stitches ...

18-20 stitches per inch

Better yet, final assembly of the first lullaby book is finally in sight.

Addendum:

The grad school food groups revisited on a rainy day: saturated fats, salt, chocolate, caffeine, and carbs
And because I want to remember how I made it (using flatware, not measuring spoons) ... two heaping table spoons of Dutch process cocoa, one scant tea spoon of espresso powder, two tea spoons of sugar and a splash of vanilla, whisked together with some hot tap water.  Added to two small cups of milk and a slug of cream, heated gently on the simmer burner. Makes two small, very rich mugs of hot chocolate.