Friday, May 8, 2015

- Hoping it will all come out (okay) in the wash

After several days of hanging in gentle rain and persimmon-shaded sun, I brought in the newly dyed cloth.

Taking a idea from newfound KINDRED SPIRIT Deb Sposa at Artisun, I decided to iron half of each cloth on a high setting to see if the colors would set better with or without heat.

For sure the dyed images jumped out of the newly pressed cloth ...


But knowing that they might fade regardless of whether they were heat-set or not, I took some before shots to record what was ...

Red and yellow onion skins mordanted with
copper, alum and iron (from left to right)


Windfall lichen mordanted with
copper, alum and iron (from left to right)

Alum mordanted red cabbage, salvias and rosemary (from left to right)

So, with once last look at my favorite alum-mordanted salvias ...


I dispatched them to the (hopefully) tender mercies of the washing machine.

Film at 11:00 (if not sooner).